Soon after the 1905 Maji-Maji Uprising, the Missionary Benedictine Congregation of St. Ottilien, Germany, decided to set up a new Mission Station in Ndanda, which should be the Central Mission Station for the South Eastern Area of the Country.
On 15 August 1906, the mission cross was planted at Ndanda.
In 1908, the Missionary Benedictine Sisters immediately started to take care of the sick
In 1910, the construction of a small hospital at Ndanda began
Ndanda from North-East in 1911. From left to right: Chapel, house of the brothers, mansions, school farm, kitchen, house of sisters. At the bottom, old hospital.
Courtyard with mission cross in 1912
In October 1916, during the first world war, a military hospital was opened at Ndanda
In November 1917, Ndanda was captured by the allies and all the German Missionaries were deported.
The sisters came back to Ndanda after the end of the First World War and from June 1925, treatment of the sick was resumed.
In 1926 the old hospital was demolished and construction of a new hospital began. The construction was completed and the building officially opened in 1927. This building is still in use today as the Private Ward of our Hospital.
On the 5th May 1927 Sister Dr. Thecla Stinnesbeck OSB, a Medical Doctor and member of the Benedictine Missionary Congregation arrived and started to treat patients. She was the only doctor for the first 20 years. The second doctor, Sr. Dr. Maria Lucas Rauch OSB, arrived in 1947. Other doctors followed later.
On 22nd September 1930, with the initiative of Sister Dr. Thecla, a Dispenser School was officially opened by the then Director of the Ministry of Education.
In 1933, Sr. Thecla started to train her own Missionary Sisters in midwifery
In 1940, training of married women in this field of midwifery was initiated as at that time the training for unmarried women in midwifery was not accepted by the community.
By the end of the Second World War in 1945 the hospital had a capacity of 103 beds.
The Nursing School at Ndanda started in 1965. The School is integrated into St. Benedict Ndanda Hospital.
In 1970 the new main hospital wards (W 1 – W 8) buildings were opened by the Minister for Health Mr. Sijaona.
The first employment of 2 Tanzanian doctors was in 1977, Dr. Mdeme (AMO) and Dr. David Mwambe (MD).
In July 2004 New Operating Theatre complex was opened by the Regional Commissioner of Mtwara Hon. Isidor Shirima. Incinerator installed in 2004.
On 12th November 2010 the Hospital was up-graded to Regional Referral Hospital, Government Notice No: 828, and Published on the Government Gazette
On 14th December 2013 the Nursing School Girls Dormitory construction was complete and opened by the then Hon. Bishop Gabriel Mmolle of the Diocese of Mtwara.
On 28th March 2014 the construction of Phase I (the Ground floor) of a new Medical Laboratory at Ndanda Hospital started.
The foundation Stone was put on 14th March 2015 by Deputy Minister for Ministry of Health and Social Welfare Hon. Dr. Stephen Kebwe (MP)