Ndanda School of Nursing is part of St Benedict’s Ndanda Referral Hospital. The school provides training for diploma in nursing and midwifery aiming addressing shortage of human resource for health in the country.
Ndanda School of Nursing started in 1930 by Sr. Dr. Thekla Stinnesbeck OSB with four years course for dispenser. During the Second World War in 1939 this school had to be closed.
1945, 18 months course for village Midwives started and in 1950 the Ministry of Health gave permission to commence a 2- years training for Midwives. In 1965 the nursing training center started to offer a three years course for nurse grade B. Since its establishment, the school offered co- education training. In 1970 the two years training in Midwifery was discontinued, from there on, nurses grade B were trained as Midwives. In 1983 a one year pre-Nursing Course was introduced which was discontinued in June 1993. In September 1994 a diploma course in Nursing started.
In 2012 certificate course was integrated. In March 2013, a 2 years upgrading course was established to enrolled nurses through e-learning. Due to changes of nursing curriculum on entry qualifications, certificate course was discontinued in 2017. In September 2018 in-service one year programme awarding diploma in nursing and midwifery was introduced.